Monday, June 28, 2010

Whisk Upon A Star's Canine Employees

Meet Kona and Kash! These two monsters like to keep me company while I work on our cupcakes. Kash is my little spectator. He usually sits on the couch and watches my every move. Kona is the troublemaker. Over the last few months, he developed a strange affinity for fondant. He loves the sweet stuff - but since he has a sensitive tummy I told him he couldn't have any because it has sugar in it. This edict inevitably led to what we now refer to as the "Mad Hatter Massacre of 2010." It took me two days to finish the decorations for the Alice in Wonderland cupcakes. When I was done I put them in a little air tight container and left it out on our dining room table. I went to take Kash out to potty and when we came back inside, there were dozens of little fondant heads and appendages sprawled out across my living room rug. In the two or three minutes that we were gone, Kona had managed to knock the box off the table, break it open and mutilate all of my poor, defenseless little creatures. There were fondant body parts everywhere! It was gruesome! It took me over 14 hours to re-create the Mad Hatter decorations. Luckily, they ended up looking even better than the first batch. I guess I have Kona to thank for that...or not!
Anyways here's the low down on my boys:


Kona
Breed: Boxer
Age: 4 years old
Favorite Snacks: String Cheese, bananas,
Goldfish (the crackers not the swimmy ones),
scrambled eggs and sweet potato ice cream
Hobbies: Counter surfing, playing at the dog park, passing gas,
wrestling with Kash and running in the sand at Dog Beach

Kash
Breed: Boston Terrier
Age: 3 years old
Favorite Snacks: Peanut butter, yogurt, string cheese,
scrambled eggs and duck treats
Hobbies: Running in circles, chasing rabbits, humping things, killing stuffed animals and sunbathing


A few years ago, we decided to have a little doggie block party to celebrate Kona's birthday. All of our neighbors brought their pups over for a playdate and we served these cute little banana pupcakes. They were really easy to make and the dogs LOVED them! By the time we were done, Kona had frosting all over his face and our neighbor's boxer Colt had scarfed down three of them!
Here is the recipe for those of you who have furry babies at home:

Banana Pupcakes
2 cups water
2 bananas
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg
2 tablespoons honey
Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl combine water, mashed bananas, vanilla, egg and honey. Add flour and baking powder. Mix well. Pour into cupcake pans. Bake 20 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Frosting - In a mixer combine 12 oz nonfat cream cheese, 1 teasp. vanilla, 1 teasp. honey. Add 3 teasp cinnamon or carob powder, if desired.
(Or you can subsitute the cream cheese frosting for peanut butter!)
- Recipe courtesy of Jill @ BoxerTalk!
The Birthday Boy - Kona Bear

June Bug loved the frosting!
Roxie
Colt
And for the record - yes, we did try the pupcakes for ourselves! They tasted like bland banana flavored muffins with frosting on top. Definitely not something I would make for humans...
~Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment